Frequently Asked Questions

What are the hours at the Town Municipal Building?

The Building is open Mon. – Thurs. 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Friday. The building is closed on legal holidays. (New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day)

How do I contact the Town’s Board Members?

Town Board contact information is available by clicking on the Town Board button on the town’s website home page.

Do I need a permit to …..?

The answer is probably yes. We enact and enforce ordinances to protect you, the property owner, and your neighbors. To ensure compliance, please contact the office staff at the Municipal Building at (715) 424- 1821 or at 2410 48th St. S. The Building Inspector’s hours are by appointment after 3:30 p.m. 

Is a building permit required to re-side my home?

No, a permit is not needed to simply re-side your home. If you need to replace any part of the actual home structure, please call the Building Inspector (715) 424-1821 to determine if a permit would then be needed.

Is a building permit required to replace the windows in my home?

As long you replace the windows with the same size window, a permit is not required.

Is there a place to dispose of drain oil?

Yes, the Town Garage at 2811 Two Mile has a disposal site. Please take your containers with you when you are done. The disposal tank area is located to the right of the driveway when you drive in.

What day is our garbage pick up on?

Please see Garbage and Recycling map under the “Map” button. Your pick up day will change if there is a legal holiday within the week. Pick up will not take place on the holiday and all pickup days for the balance of the week will be one day later.

Where can I dispose of yard waste?

Grand Rapids residents can purchase a pass for the Wisconsin Rapids Compost sites. The pass is good for the complete spring/summer/fall season. Passes can be purchased at the Municipal Building, The Store (4010 80th St. S.), and by mail. Please call the Municipal Building (715) 424-1821 for the price of the pass.

Where can I dispose of prescription drugs?

There is a disposal bin located in the Grand Rapids Municipal Building. For more information please check out the prescription drug disposal information located at the “Police Department Misc. Information” button on our home page.

Where do I obtain a burning permit?

Burning permits can be obtained at the Grand Rapids Municipal Building, the Fire Department, or The Store gas station at 4010 80th St. S. A permit is needed for brush piles or burn barrels. They are free of charge and good for the entire year. DNR burning guidelines need to be followed and will be explained at the time of issuance or log on to: For more information go to the Ordinance button on our home page and look up Ordinance #2 – Regulating Control Burning.

What services does the Town of Grand Rapids offer?

The Town offers many services to our residents. We have our own Fire and Police Departments, as well as a Municipal Court. We also have a full time Road Crew, Office Staff and part time Building Inspector/Zoning Administrator. Please refer to the Town’s website or call the Municipal Building at (715) 424-1821 for any question you may have.

Will the Police Department watch my house while I’m out of Town?

Yes, you can fill out a Home Protection Form available on our website under General Forms and Applications, or you may pick one up in the main office.

I have information on a crime that was committed, but want to remain anonymous. What should I do?

Wood County Crime Stoppers accepts tips on all crimes anonymously. There are three ways to report a crime or information on a crime:

  • Call Crime Stoppers (715.325.STOP) (715.325.7867)
  • Go to the website and complete the tip form
  • Text-A-Tip: Text your tip to 274637, Start the text message with the keyword: WCCS
What licenses am I required to obtain?

Dog License - Dogs that are over 5 months of age are required by State Statute to be licensed (yearly fee). Proof of rabies vaccination must be provided before a license will be issued. Town ordinance allows each household 2 dogs. Owners wishing for more than 2 dogs must obtain a Dog Exemption Permit from the Town. A $75 fee is required for the dog exemption.

Bicycle License - This is a (one time fee) permanent, non-transferrable license, which is available at the Municipal Building. Please make sure to bring bike information along, with serial number.

Where do we go to register to vote?

The Grand Rapids Municipal Building located at 2410 48th St. S. Please make sure to bring along an acceptable form of proof of residency if registering during closed registration (20 days before an election), such as:

  • A current and valid WI Driver License/ ID Card
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a WI governmental body
  • An employee ID card with a photograph but not a business card
  • A real property tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
  • A residential lease
  • A utility bill for a period commencing not earlier than 90 days before the day registration is made
  • A bank statement
  • A paycheck
  • A check or other document issued by a unit of government

Acceptable proof of residency documents must contain your name and your current address in the Town of Grand Rapids. You must have been a resident for at least 28 consecutive days to register to vote.

Do I need to fill out a new registration form and show proof of residency if I move within the Town of Grand Rapids?

Yes, with any change of address a new registration form needs to be completed. If you make the change within the closed registration period (20 days before the election) you will be required to provide proof of residency. (See acceptable forms of proof of residency above.)

I just got married but am at the same residence, do I need to fill out a new registration form?

Yes, All name changes require new registration and again you will be asked for proof of residency if it is within 20 days of an election.

Where do we vote?

All election voting is held at the Municipal Building, 2410 48th Street South.

Do we have to have a photo ID in order to vote?

Yes, ALL voters coming to the polls will be required to show Proof of Identification in order to vote. If a person does not have a Driver License, there are numerous other acceptable documents. Please click here to view the Acceptable Photo IDs that will be accepted. If you will be registering to vote, you will need to provide Proof of Residence. If you are already registered to vote, then you will be required to provide Proof of Identification.

Where can I get a copy of my current tax bill?

Current tax bills can be obtained at the Municipal Building or through the Wood County website at Select property tax search option.

Where can I get a copy of a past year’s tax bill?

Past year’s tax bills can be obtained from the Wood County Treasurer’s Office, 400 Market Street, Wisconsin Rapids, and (715) 421-8484

How can I contact the Grand Rapids Municipal Court?

The phone number for the Grand Rapids Municipal Court is (715) 424-1830